Can't believe we are gearing up for another maternity shoot. I was trying to remember what I did to prep for this shoot and thought others might be looking for some help, too. Here is a list of tips that will help you get the photos you love.
1. Inspiration: Scour the internet, pinterest, or friends pictures for inspiration. What style are you drawn towards? (Ex. beachy, rustic, modern, bohemian). This will help guide the "feel" of your shoot. For this shoot, I told Matt that I wanted whimsical, natural, bohemian with country undertones. May sound obnoxious but it helped him get ideas of where we would shoot.
2. Photographer: Once you know the feeling and style you want, find a photographer that you trust that has a similar style. Look at their work, does it have the same vibe you want?
3. Schedule in advance: We recommend being 28-32 weeks along. Nice and round but not too much swelling (hopefully). This will also ensure you get the date you want with your chosen photographer.
4. Setting: Great outdoors. Natural lighting is always best (in our opinion). Work with your photographer to source a location. If outdoors, bring a mirror and be sure that you know where the nearest restroom is. Go before you start!
5. Include the Hubs: So much of this time is about you. Include your husband in this process- talk to him about what style he likes, what locations he likes, what he'll wear, etc. Dave had no opinion other than he wanted to be out of a lot of the shots :)
6. Family: Be sure to include your family. Obviously kids and dogs welcome. If you have relatives to help, even better! They can assist the photographer or help manage the kids and pets.
7. Know a pose: It can help to have a handful of poses you really like. Share with photographer in advance but keep in mind, your best pictures will not come from these. They are more likely to come from organic shots that you never thought about it.
8. Outfit: Show off that belly! We recommend two outfits. A dress or skirt is always a good option and then maybe a more casual look. I hate my arms when I am pregnant so a long sleeve dress was a good option for me. Be sure that whatever you choose, you make it tight fitting! The belly is the star of the show- let it shine!
9. Be confident: Along with your outfit, treat yourself to blow out or manicure/pedicure. Feeling your best will come across on camera. This isn't the time to try a new stylist or new makeup- stick to what you know and what makes you feel confident.
10. Don’t be critical- love your body. You are creating life! Enjoy it and feel like the mother goddess you are!